Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Introduction and Expectations

Hello! My name is Kristy Myers! I am originally born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee but moved to Knoxville three years ago for college and now claim this as home! The Lord has guided my steps here and I am continually aware of the way he has provided for me in friends, community, and guidance! I am majoring in BCMB and am secretly a science geek who loves to talk about covalent bonds, neurons, and cellular respiration.

I am more passionate though about who I want to work with one day. My dream for my life is to be the best teacher that I can be to urban kids. It seems glamorous at first to go into this community as their savior and to save them from the low expectations and the lack of success, but I know that it is going to be hard every day. There are going to be a lot of cases where the kids don't succeed, where I don't see growth, or where I am disrespected. I do not do this though for the feeling that so many people in this world crave: the feeling that they have done something to change the world. I do it because the Lord has called me to give a voice to the voiceless, care for the poor, and love the orphans. I hope to show them the love of Christ the best way I can even if that is not through my words. I am excited to be in a classroom every day with students who need this love more than I know.

So in summation, technology is honestly not something that I am passionate about. Because I am going to be working in lower-income schools with families that may not have computers, I wonder how much I am going to be able to utilize this technology. I have already learned a lot of cool ways to incorporate technology into the classroom to communicate with parents such as wikis and blogs but I just hope that these skills that I learn will be able to help the students' families that I will come into contact with!


No comments:

Post a Comment